I’m starting to have fun with my ice cream maker and have used it a couple more times since I posted (yesterday) that I figured I would just continue the theme this week. I highly suggest getting one and trying out your own recipes!
I’m definitely open to suggestions for a flavor you want me to try this week…here are a few I was thinking of – feel free to add any:
Blackberry with dark chocolate chunks
Cafe Mocha w/Almonds
Chocolate Swirl Pecan
Cinnamon Apple Pie
I didn’t forget you my fellow weight-conscious readers. Yesterday I made a chocolate banana almond milk ice cream that has about 60-75 calories per serving. It actually turned out pretty good ….the texture is more frozen yogurt than creamy ice cream. Next time I will add almonds or pecans because I like a little crunch in my ice cream. It totally works when you are craving something chocolatey and sweet and won’t set you back for the day. Plus it is low fat, low calorie, vegan, and I believe gluten free – can’t get better than that.I found this recipe on Bay Area Bites website.
- 1 1/2 cups almond milk
- 2 ripe bananas
- 2 heaping tablespoons chocolate cocoa powder
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- In a microwaveable bowl or cup whisk 1/2 cup almond milk with the chocolate cocoa and sugar until fully incorporated. Microwave for 40 seconds and then stir.
- Place bananas plus the remainder of the almond milk into a blender along with the cocoa mixture and puree for about 10 seconds.
- Place mixture in the ice cream maker and process for 20 minutes or until thick.
- Serve right away or store in the freezer for later use or to firm up a bit more if desired.