So my son (7) brought home his papers from school and in it was a flyer for the school carnival with a request for bakers to send in cookies, cakes, etc. I tried to ignore it – I really did. Its not that I don’t like to help, I do, but I know myself. I go overboard and something thats supposed to be simple ends up driving me crazy. I could just bake cookies and send them in. That’s perfectly acceptable and it would only take me about an hour. But there is something wrong with me…..I absolutely have to make everything harder than it is (stop shaking your head yes Tim).
I got this great idea that I was going to send in a cookie basket….simple right? It would have been had I not got the idea to add candy. Its not that the melting and molding in itself is difficult, but when you start baking at 7:30pm with a messy kitchen, kids that need to get homework done, showers, bed time, blah blah blah its a recipe for disaster.
I ignored my better judgement and started baking chocolate chip cookies – this cookie recipe is awesome. It uses pudding and the cookies come out cake like and chewy. When the cookies were baking I decided to start the candy….I melted the chocolate wafers, poured it in the molds and let set.
Soon it was time to put the basket(bucket) together. I got a piece of floral foam and put it in the bottom and covered it with pink grass type stuff. I then stuck the candy popsicles into the foam and filled around them with cookies. I made some candy flowers and placed them throughout. I also added a few brownies – I made them from a mix.
It was done, looked ok and I took a few pictures. My husband came in and told me how good it looked, but I just kept feeling like something wasn’t right. Then it hit me – it looked like penises on a stick! My husband saw it too and when I posted the pic on Facebook this morning so did everyone else. So I took the candy sticks out, rearranged the basket and stuck a bow on it. I’m so glad I noticed it before I sent it in.
This is obviously the before: (lighting was bad)
I found this recipe on allrecipes and its one of my favorites:
CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES:
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 cups butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 (3.4 ounce) packages instant vanilla pudding mix
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Sift together the flour and baking soda, set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter, brown sugar, and white sugar. Beat in the instant pudding mix until blended. Stir in the eggs and vanilla. Blend in the flour mixture. Finally, stir in the chocolate chips. Drop cookies by rounded spoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes in the preheated oven. Edges should be golden brown.